- analyze data in pie charts.
- think about the structure of an academic task 1 essay.
- complete a model band 9 text.
- study some useful vocabulary for dealing with this type of task.
Look at the charts and answer true or false (15 Questions)
Now it is time for you to try your own task. Remember to keep to 20 minutes to do this, and check your word count is above 150.
The data illustrates the proportion of foreign students from six countries on a business course in Britain in 1991 and 2011. In both years, France was the country which contributed the most students, however, in 2011 the percentage of Indian and Nigerian students had increased significantly.
In 1991, the majority of foreign students on the course came from France at 51%. However, by 2011 this had fallen by 20% to 31%. Similarly, the proportion of Italian students taking the course fell significantly. In fact, the proportion nearly halved from 22% in 1991 to 11% in 2011.
The proportion of students from the other four countries increased. The most noticeable increases were in the proportion of Indian students, from 14% to 26% and Nigerian students from 2%, which was the lowest proportion contributed by any country, to 19%. Interestingly, the proportion of foreign students on the course from Sweden and Saudi Arabia increased by the same amount from 6% to 7% and 5% to 6% respectively.
The writer groups the data so that the first body paragraph deals with decreases in the proportion of students and the second body paragraph deals with increases.
- The writer doesn’t try and guess why the changes in the data occurred. this increases task achievement because in this type of task you should only describe, compare and contrast the data that is provided.